History of AMVETS and Charles M. Greavu AMVETS Post No. 9
The influx of millions of veterans returning home from “the War” with no nationally organized assistance provided the impetus forming of AMVETS. Many of these veterans belonged to older established veterans groups and veterans’ clubs on college campuses but none of these organizations could provide the assistance that these veterans felt they warranted. On December 10th, 1944 eighteen Veterans met in Kansas City, Missouri and founded The American Veterans of World War II. Less than three years later on July 23rd, 1947, President Harry S. Truman signed Public Law 216, making AMVETS the first World War II organization to be chartered by congress.
Less than a year after that initial meeting in Kansas City, on October 20th, 1945 the American Veterans of World War II National Commander Harold Keats signed a State Department Charter to recognize AMVETS Department of Georgia as an official State Department of AMVETS. This was just the beginning of a journey assisting veterans and sponsoring numerous programs that serve our country and its citizens. Since those first years AMVETS Department of Georgia has grown to be one of the largest Departments in AMVETS. With approximately 12,000 members and just over a 100 Posts AMVETS Department of Georgia has been at the forefront of community and veterans’ service for the State of Georgia. With the AMVETS organizations’ open door policy to any veteran who is Honorably Discharged, we hope to continue to grow and provide service for the veterans and their surrounding communities. Charles M. Greauv and Luther Frierson founded the Post. The Post was chartered on 13 February 1958. Research will begin soon into the Post’s complete history. When completed the history of the Post will be published on our site. If anyone has any information or artifacts or documents regarding our Post history, please contact the Post Adjutant at firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about AMVETS History visit: http://www.amvets.org/about/